Friday, March 21, 2014

Tile Coasters and Tutorial

Tile Coaster #1 - 'Zodiac' image from Pattie's Creations

Tile Coaster #2 - 'Zodiac' image from Pattie's Creations

Back of tile with Felt Discs as the feet

Four Tile Coasters Bundled with Ribbon

I wanted to make something special for my chiropractor and her husband (also a chiropractor). She's the Aquarius sign, and Mike is the Gemini.
This is also my creation for the 'Anything Goes' challenge at Pattie's Creations Challenge #88.
I found a tutorial here, and you'll see that the blog owner used designer papers on her tiles. I wanted to use images on mine.

Supplies Needed:
- Mod Podge Matte Finish
- White Tiles 4.25" x 4.25" (Lowe's at 16 cents a tile)
- Square Image, or Designer Paper cut to 4" x 4"
- Clear Acrylic Sealer Spray (Matte finish from Walmart)
- Sponge applicators 1" wide (from Lowe's or Home Depot paint dept)
- Felt Discs for the feet (Lowe's)

My Instructions:
1 - Apply the Mod Podge to the tile and to the outer edges of the backside of the paper. Center the paper on your tile, you have time to move it around before it sets. Make sure it is smooth and no air is trapped under the paper.
2 - Once dried, add a thin layer of Mod Podge on the paper. Let it dry for 1/2 an hour and add another coat. Wait another 1/2 an hour and add a final coat of Mod Podge.
3 - I let my tiles dry completely (overnight) before adding the acrylic spray. It's best to spray the tiles outdoors, and hopefully with temperatures in the 70's F. Based on the spray that I used, I waited 10 minutes then added a second coat of spray. Wait another 10 minutes and add a third and final coat of spray. Follow the instructions on the manufacturer's can.
4 - When all is dry, add the Felt Discs to the backside of the tiles on the 4 corners.

That's it! Bundle four tiles together with some ribbon for a nice gift!



Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. What a great gift. Sure to be a hit. Fantastic project for our anything goes challenge over at Pattie's Creations. Monica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic gift idea. I'm definitely going to have to try this. Great explanation of how you did this too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandi,

    These coasters came out so nice! I love how you colored my Zodiac images.

    Love
    your sister
    Pattie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are brilliant, very unique x

    hugs sally x
    sallysbitz2.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a freakin' cool idea Sandi. I've saved your notes for later. I definitely want to try this out. Beautiful job with yours. I love your image choices. I'm sure your chiropractors are going to love them.

    Lisa D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandi these are just gorgeous coasters and such a wonderful gift idea.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great idea for a personal gift, I'm sure they'll appreciate these!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi, thanks for the great tutorial! I've always wanted to try this but all the instructions I've found seem so involved....you have simplified it for simple minds like me :) I'm going to have to give this a whirl. LOVE your coasters!!! Hmmm, I see a great Christmas/Housewarming/Wedding gift here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Sandi, these are so great! You did a super job on them and the images are wonderful. Great job!!! Hugz!

    ReplyDelete